Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Day of Thanksgiving for the Gift of Human Life


Meditation on the gift of human life



Before I Formed You in the Womb I Knew You

These words are recorded in the book of Jeremiah chapter one verse three.

They were spoken to the prophet,
but also to you.

Before I Formed You in the Womb I Knew You

BEFOREHow far back in your life can you remember? 
Does your conscious memory extend to the age of five? 
To the age of three?

I was aware of you much earlier than that.

I knew you even before you were born
before your parents were born; 
before the world was made.
From the eternity which was
before time began
you were already a potential being in My mind and heart.

And I knew you

And I loved you.


Before I Formed You in the Womb I Knew You

I Your Creator is the very same that planned and drew into existence the mighty galaxies with suns and worlds whirling around the vast expanse of the universe in such perfect order.

The same who devised the means by which various sounds weave together to form music.

The gorgeous vistas of oceans, mountains and meadows were formed by the same almighty hand.

The humor of a kitten at play and the mighty intellect of an Einstein are products of the identical Divine Wisdom.

And ALL of that expertise was used in forming you.

I am the one and only Creator of heaven and earth – and of you.


Before I Formed You in the Womb I Knew You

FORMED Yes, I formed you cell by cell, bone by bone. 
I fashioned, molded, developed, gifted you. 

I lovingly chose the color of your eyes, 
the shape of your nose, 
the stature of your body, 
the temperament you would have. 

I picked out the talents and gifts I would bestow on you, and wove all of them into your personality, with the utmost care.

I bestowed on you a multitude of spiritual gifts: 
Faith, Hope, Charity
Sacraments
Prayer
Vocation
Your special relationship with Me.

I watched you grow day by day, and eagerly looked forward to the blossoming of your full potential.


Before I Formed You in the Womb I Knew You

YOUThis was not a THING I was putting together. 

This was YOU.

Of course I had formed many others in the course of the centuries, some of whom would become more famous and important to the world than you. And many who would not be known by even as many as you will reach.

But you are special to Me.

There is only ONE of you.

 I have never duplicated your combination of qualities, 
nor will I ever make another exactly like you. 

You are the only one who can give Me glory in the precise way that is possible for you.

This is one of the reasons why you are so very precious to Me.



Before I Formed You in the Womb I Knew You

IN THE WOMBAll this forming and shaping and fashioning took place in your mother’s womb – in darkness and seclusion.

Most real growth in life does take place in secret. 

Not only physical growth, 
but mental, moral and spiritual growth as well, 
are usually hidden. 

So when you feel that you can’t see your way, 
that you don’t really know what’s going on in your life,
be aware that this is a time of growth
and don’t fight it.

Try to relax and cooperate with what your Creator is doing in you, because

I’m not finished with you yet.
Your formation will continue until your last breath.
As long as there is life there is change and growth.



Before I Formed You in the Womb I Knew You

I KNEW YOU I knew you through and through.
I understood,
loved,
embraced you,
held you close in my mind and heart.

I was concerned about your welfare,
your health,
your happiness,
your prosperity,
your pain,
your joy.

I arranged all the surrounding details of your family, friends, work, country, home, hardships, and breaks in life.

Each one has its place in your formation for eternity.



Before I Formed You in the Womb I Knew You

YOU I knew YOU.
Yes, I know Mother Teresa, 
and Pope John Paul II, 
and Abraham Lincoln, 
and St. Dominic, 
and Shakespear, 
and Moses, 
and all the rest.

But right now we’re talking about YOU.

I knew you then and I know you now. 

I know the person that you would like to be, 
and hope that others will take you to be.

But I also know the real you behind that mask.

With all of your strengths and weaknesses,
successes and failures,
good will and bad,
hopes and fears,
trials, pains and hardships,
advantages, joys and gifts.

I know the person that is being shaped by all of that.

And I love you 
and hope that you will come to know Me 
more and more intimately 
and love Me more and more deeply.


Before I Formed You in the Womb I Knew You


No comments:

Post a Comment