Monday, October 17, 2011

Singer, Artist, Poet, Intercessor

At the time of her death, Sister Mary of the Holy Spirit was in the 94th year of her life and the 66th year of her religious profession. She was well known as singer, artist, and poet, but especially as an intercessor. Her outstanding characteristic was compassion. Sister loved to pray for all who are in pain, either physically, mentally, or spiritually. When anyone was suffering, she would suffer along with them in their time of trial. This extraordinary empathy was the charism given to her by God for His people. In heaven she will continue her ministry of intercession and will obtain strength and comfort for all who ask her prayers.

For those who would like to know her better we offer her vocation story.

My Vocation Story
by Sr. Mary of the Holy Spirit, OP




How long did it take me to decide to become a Religious? ONE WEEK! Dancing, singing were the very loves of my earthly life. However, there were yet greater loves not of earth - but by faith and His Grace - Jesus and Mary, my constant ‘companions’.

I had studied voice for some years and performing was part and parcel of what I loved to do. Religious life and a nunnery were the farthest thoughts from my mind. Besides, there was Joe - who had proposed and we were to be engaged when he returned from Germany after his tour of duty in World War II.

A confession turned my whole life around. During confession one evening, a priest I did not know posed the question, "Have you ever thought of being a Nun?" "No, Father, I am going to be married." "Then, come to me next week and I’ll give you instructions on the Sacrament of Matrimony."

That was THE WEEK that changed my life. On the way home, I said to my sister who was with me, "I wonder what it’s like to be a Nun."

On my trip to confession the following week, instead of asking about the Sacrament of Matrimony, I asked what it was like to be a Nun. "How long can you kneel?" asked he. And so, after some words of explanation, none of which I now recall, he asked me to visit the Monastery in the Bronx - Corpus Christi.

That visit led to a love affair that overpowered any idea of Joe. I wrote to him and told him that I’d found a Greater Love. And great person that he was, he accepted my explanation. That was a love affair that started over 60 years ago, and has been a joy throughout my life. Never a moment’s doubt. His grace has been there supporting that decision to enter His House and even now, I can hardly believe my good fortune.

Oh yes! The singing and dancing have not departed from me. Happily and gratefully, I have sung His praise now for 60 years and more.

And the Lord has a sense of humor. After 59 years in the Religious life, at 84 years of age, a young man, a musician friend, decided he wanted to make a CD of me. They brought all the equipment here. With the Prioress’ permission and presence at the first recording session, it was begun - "A Song in My Heart for God". And perhaps that can be the title of my story:




A Song in my Heart for my Beloved

and for which I can never be grateful enough.

Thank you, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment